Rosacea Awareness Month at LAB Skin Clinic, Neutral Bay – Call 02 9909 3602
Rosacea Awareness Month is the perfect opportunity to draw attention to this increasingly problematic skin condition; particularly as we see as many as 50% of our clients who are totally unaware they have this condition.
Rosacea is a chronic and progressive micro-circulation disorder, which manifests as persistent redness, dilated capillaries and congestion. Rosacea mainly affects the face but can sometimes appear on the neck, scalp, chest and back.
Rosacea-prone skin becomes apparent in early childhood and, in its initial phase, symptoms include easy facial flushing graduating to red spots and persistent redness as tiny blood vessels in the skin become dilated and more visible.
During the ages of 30 to 50 years, rosacea often develops into a more severe form:
- papules and pustules appear
- the skin around the nose may become thickened and enlarged
- eyes become red, sore, watery and irritated
Symptoms increase during hormonal events such as pregnancy and menopause, and stress is a huge contributing factor in outbreaks.
Affecting twice as many women as men, symptoms are usually more severe in men. Typically, Rosacea appears in fair-skinned, blue, green or hazel-eyed individuals from Northern Europe.
Whilst the origins are inherent in DNA, environment, diet and lifestyle will exacerbate or control the condition and visible signs will need professional treatment and skincare. If left untreated, Rosacea will worsen and become more difficult to treat effectively. Whilst there is no permanent ‘cure’ for this condition, it can be controlled very effectively so that outbreaks become less frequent.
Our professional recommendation may integrate some or all of the following:
- Pevonia RS2 Rosacea range – gentle, soothing and cooling (it contains ingredients that support healthy micro-capillary circulation and skin health)
- Pevonia Hydrating sunscreen, which is both a sunscreen & sun-block
- ELES all-natural mineral makeup
- LED, Oxygen, IPL & non-ablative laser treatments to eradicate broken capillaries, reduce redness, heal, strengthen and improve skin health
- Sun exposure
- Spicy foods
- Extremes of heat & cold
- Many over-the-counter cosmetic & skin-care products (these often contain alcohol, mineral oil, lanolin, artificial perfumes & fragrances, & isopropyl myristate)
If you’re looking for advice on Rosacea, talk to us… Solutions are what we do best!